SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND THE LAW
Same Sex Marriage resources
- Freedom to Marry
- The National Freedom to Marry Coalition. To enter, click on the box that says "Want to get married? Get engaged!"
- Lambda Legal Defense Fund Marriage Project
- The home page of this project.
- Baker v. Vermont
- The full text of the decision in which the Vermont Supreme Court directed the Vermont legislature "to consider and enact legislation consistent with the constitutional mandate described herein."
- HRC Worknet
- A National Source of Information on Employer Policies and Laws Surrounding Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in the Workplace
- Pride at Work
- A national organization of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered union members, affiliated with the AFL-CIO
Newsletters, Journals, Periodicals
- National Journal of Sexual Orientation Law
- The first on-line law journal in the country and the second devoted exclusively to legal issues affecting lesbians, gay men and bisexuals.
- Lesbian and Gay Law Notes
- A publication of the Lesbian and Gay Law Association of Greater New York.
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender organizations
- Human Rights Campaign
- The largest national lesbian and gay political organization. Lots of legislative information here, as well as an "issues" page focusing on HIV/AIDS, workplace discrimination, and health issues.
- Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund
- The nation's oldest and largest legal organization working for the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, and people with HIV/AIDS. An excellent site.
- Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD)
- A nonprofit, public interest legal organization whose mission is to achieve full equality and justice for New England's lesbian, gay, bisexual, and HIV or AIDS affected individuals. Links to current official documents (e.g. the text of the Vermont Civil Union bill) and news stories about gay and lesbian legal issues.
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- A national group dedicated to civil rights for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered people. Great current event links, resource directory, and list of action items.
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD)
- Formed in 1985 to protest and deal with depictions of gays and lesbians in the media.
Other links and resources
- Sexuality, gender and the law
- A huge collection of links, articles, bibliographies, and an index of sex information. Lots of information, though not particularly well organized
- ICTLEP Standards of Care for Transexualism
- Adopted at the 2nd International Conference on Transgender Law and Employment Policy (1993). Includes forms.
Last updated June 15, 2004
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please email: Rick Buckingham, Legal Reference Librarian.