A BREATHING RELAXATION EXERCISE - "I Am Relaxed"
- Sit in a balanced position.
- Settle into your chair so you feel as little strain as possible on your lower back or abdominal muscles.
- Imagine a cord attached to the top of your head, pulling your spine perfectly straight and aligned from the top of your head to the bottom of your feet.
- Place your feet comfortably on the floor and allow your hands to rest easily on your thighs. Now visualize the cord being cut ad allow your head to move very slowly to a comfortable position.
- Close your eyes slowly and gently.
- Allow yourself to take a deep breath of air and gently and easily exhale.
- As you inhale, repeat to yourself: "I am . . ."
- As you exhale say ". . .relaxed."
- Continue with this pattern for 5,10, or 20 minutes, allowing your body to slip into a calm state of deep relaxation.
- When you are ready, discontinue the phrases and slowly stretch your arms and legs, your hands and feet, your whole body.
- Open your eyes slowly.
Continue with this practice and soon you will become relaxed simply by watching your breathing process.